Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Countdown- Day 12

It's 12 days until Christmas.  The next two weekends are huge for cookies, parties, and last minute shopping!  I've been done my shopping since the last week of November.  Don't hate, I just don't shop well under pressure.  Everything is wrapped and under the tree, so I can focus on the PARTIES.  I love parties.  Hosting them, going to them, planning them, you name it.  I am happiest when surrounded by cooking magazines, index cards, and my 5th draft of party food ideas.  


 I rely heavily on magazines to help me decide what to serve up and bring along during the holiday season.   A close 2nd to magazines are blogs, so I decided to create my own Christmas guide to share the last minute tips and ideas that I stumble across.  For those of you who found my Thanksgiving Survival Guide useful, hopefully this will be a help to you as well.

Most of my favorite sweet treats for the holidays have come from Bon Appetit magazine.  I always buy the December issue and keep it for life.  I have issues going back to 2005, and some of my favorites are from the 2006 issue.  I figure you can never have enough good holiday cooking magazines in your back catalog.  They have great recipes, shopping ideas, cocktail suggestions, and decor pointers.





Speaking of BA magazine, this is my all-time favorite holiday dessert! I am making it for a work function on Monday.  The only difference is that I use one of those pre-made chocolate pie crusts, and it comes out ridiculously decadent.  

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dark-Chocolate-and-Peppermint-Whipped-Cream-Tart-236763


I love giving and receiving homemade gifts, especially ornaments.  I made these last year for family, and they were very easy and inexpensive!  I went to the craft store and grabbed a box of shiny red ornaments and a box of shiny green, as well as red & green sparkle ribbon and a package of glitter glue.  I drew on the ornaments, let them dry, and tied ribbon through the tops.


Appetizer parties are my absolute favorite.  That way, you can have a little bit of everything.  Here is my favorite party dip recipe.  I have adapted it over the years and I think we finally have a winner!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=242375682492121&set=a.205599749503048.52177.205571772839179&type=3&theater 



This year I have been making it a point to try some new wine and beer so add to the holiday rotation.  The Saranac Caramel Porter is my best find so far this Christmas season.  It's not too heavy and it's great with apps or dessert.

That's all for tonight- check out day 2 tomorrow.  Happy Holidays from the Improper Chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment