Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Countdown- Day 9

Party Food.  I love parties, and I love food.  Put them together and there's nothing better.  Don't get me wrong.  I very much enjoy a nice meal featuring a juicy pork tenderloin or hunk o' prime rib.  But party food is great because you get to try a little bit of everything!



We hosted a get together with some friends this weekend and apps were where it was at.  In addition to the Sous Chef's pulled chicken sliders (see Christmas Countdown- Day 10 for the recipe and some wise words from SC), we served up pancetta and goat cheese tartlets, pepperoni cheese pinwheels, meatball sliders, artichoke asiago dip, baked potato dip, fennel onion dip, and a wonderful assortment of baked goods and additional apps provided by our fabulous friends.

For the pulled chicken sliders, we served them up on potato rolls, as did we the meatball sliders.  The consistency of potato rolls can't be beat (see CC Day #10 for bread analysis by the SC, don't want to steal his thunder here). http://theimproperchef.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-countdown-day-10.html?spref=fb
Because I usually host holiday parties on a Friday, I did have to work and therefore did not have time to make my own meatballs and sauce.  Oh come on, put that look of shock and horror away.  During the holidays, it is ok to cut corners where you need to.  Not everything can or needs to be totally homemade.  Giving credit where it is due, Trader Joe's meatballs and Classico's marinara sauce are my go-tos when it's too crazy to hand roll balls of meat and slave over a pot of hot sauce.  We melted provolone over the sliders and they were delish.

Pancetta and goat cheese tartlets.  You've seen them before on my blog.  Mostly because I like saying "tartlets." And also because they are quick, easy, and so good.  Again, I cut corners and use the mini phyllo cups that can be found in your grocer's freezer with the rest of the pastry items.  I swear by these.  They save me so much time and they never fail me.  Here's the link to the tartlets, found on my facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=239482359448120&set=a.205599749503048.52177.205571772839179&type=3&theater


The pepperoni and cheese pinwheels come from one of my magazine and web heroes, Bon Appetit.  Their recipes are so impressive and I can't think of anything that I have tried of theirs that has let me down.  The only change I made was using a three-cheese italian blend (that included asiago but was not exclusively asiago). These were a big hit. They didn't reheat very well, so don't be shy and make sure you and your guests eat them all in one sitting.  I promise you won't regret it.  Unless you're lactose intolerant, but you really can't blame me there, kiddo. (photo from BA's website)
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2001/10/pepperoni_and_asiago_pinwheels


Artichoke asiago dip.  This is another recurring character if you're familiar with my work.  This dip has been developed over the years and I was always swapping ingredients in and out.  I finally found the magic combination and I will deviate no longer.  You might be asking where the spinach is.  I left it on the shelf.  It even tried that sad, walking away, look-over-your-shoulder-to-the-sad-music-in-the-background-to-make-sure-you're-not-making-a-mistake crap with me, and I kept walking.  I am strong like that.  You can add some fresh spinach if you want,  but you really don't need it.  Let the artichokes be the star for once.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=242375682492121&set=a.205599749503048.52177.205571772839179&type=3&theater

Baked Potato Dip.  What's not to love??? Every year Better Homes and Gardens puts out their annual party food edition.  I have been collecting these going back to 2005.  I stalk Barnes and Noble in November and wait for it to hit the shelves.  And then I sit there and analyze every single recipe.  I start with a big list of things I want to make and slowly whittle it down.  This recipe made the cut.  It's essentially mashed potatoes, but put chips in front of the serving platter, and it's a dip.  We used sour cream and onion chips, and they were a little too weak to hold the dip.  My recommendation?  Serve it up nacho style. Put some chips on your plate, top it with the dip, grab a fork (ok, I know you typically don't use a fork to eat nachos unless you're ridiculously prim & proper and if you are, you're probably not slumming it with nachos) and go to town.


Fennel onion dip.  This is one of the few items I remembered to take a picture of.  Blame the wine, blame the pressure of entertaining, blame the sheer madness and overwhelming nature of Christmas.  I totally dropped the ball on taking pics of my food this time.  But dammit, I got this one.  I mixed 12oz helluva good french onion dip with 1/4c each red onion, green onion and fennel. Seasoned it with black pepper and a dash of paprika, and chilled it for about 6 hrs. We served this dip with Trader Joe's gorgonzola crackers and the flavors went together very nicely.  You could also serve with rippled potato chips.  The garnish on top are the fennel leaves.  They look pretty but don't eat them.  



So that's it for the party food edition.  The cookies and drinks will be coming in separate posts, because, let's face it, how the heck and I going to do 8 more installments if I give it all away during Day #9?



No comments:

Post a Comment